- God is a comedian, playing to an audience that’s too afraid to laugh.” (Voltaire)
- People who make no mistakes do not usually make anything.
- [A pessimist is] someone who thinks everybody is as nasty as himself, and hates them for it.” (Shaw)
- A little inaccuracy can save tons of explanation.” (Saki)
- All human actions are equivalent, and all are doomed to failure.” (Sartre)
- A cynic is a man who, upon smelling flowers, looks around for a coffin.” (Mencken)
- Curiosity kills more mice than cats.
- Culture is, roughly, anything we do which the monkeys don’t.” (Raglan)
- Birth, n., the first and direst of all disasters. (Bierce)
- Blow your mind. Smoke gunpowder.
- Everything that is not forbidden is compulsory.” (Gell-Mann)
- Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
- History repeats itself; historians repeat each other.” (Guedella)
- History is the sum total of things which could have been avoided.”(Adenauer)
- Humankind cannot bear very much reality.” (Elliot)
…. to be continued